Let's Talk about Testimonies

Have you ever shared a spiritual weakness or your spiritual journey with a large group of people (more than 2)? I have, and I regretted some of it afterward. For many young Christians in non-denom groups or church circles, sharing your "testimony" to a Christian group or a congregation can be a rite of passage. If you've never shared your own, you've probably sat in a sanctuary or gym and listened to someone share theirs. Often testimonies are full of vulnerable information about the person and dramatic moments in his or her life. 

I didn't fully regret sharing my sin in the mission trip small group until a few weeks after the event. I was a college freshman attending a mission trip as a young adult leader. We were called to share our most prevalent sins with one another to show God's power and encourage repentance. I had not done this sin in a few months and thought it was gone from my life. I shared vulnerably with the group. Others told me afterward that I was brave and to continue sharing my story. Later I realized that the specific sin was not the same as the one I had mentioned, but I hadn't planned to share and spoke "off the cuff." (The participants lived all across the US, so I likely wouldn't see them again, but I still felt as though I had misrepresented myself in that spontaneous moment.)

One problem was something you may be able to relate to: a relapse or "backsliding." Some sins can morph into something else, and then your story about coming clean and turning away is false. 

A separate issue with teens sharing vulnerably in a group setting is that if no follow up discussion occurs, the group may be confused about what the sin is or how the person encountered it. I heard a few testimonies as part of a HS fellowship group mentioning the same sins. I thought, "Well, everyone must eventually do these things." It took a conversation with an adult to set me straight.

I think that the group dynamic (men, women, ages) should be considered when leaders encourage spontaneous sharing or personal sharing. Often when people hear the words testimonies or "faith journeys" in a get-to-know-you context, they think the person will share as much about herself and events in her life as possible.

If you have concerns about your audience's age or the appropriateness of your testimony, ask to share with a pastor or other leader first. Leaders could offer explanations or discussion after the testimony.

Public repentance and testimonies are powerful tools. Let's tell them well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Riverdale "The Ides of March" and "How to Get Away with Murder"

High School Musical Songs Ranked, Part 1

The Waiting, Not Dating Narrative

New RomComs Review