Summary (of sorts) and Response to Pastor Gladden's Chapel Speech

Allen Temple AME Church (Marion)'s Pastor Gladden spoke in chapel today. When I first saw her colorful outfit, I was like, "oh, boy. Here we go." I immediately thought that she would try to shake us up, which she did.
At one point, she said, "thanks for having my back Sister Lauren, because I may need security on the way out of here." She clearly explained the origin of the AME church's break from the Methodist Episcopal church and mentioned Dylann Roof's attack on the AME church in Charleston. I expected her to address Roof's attack. I did not expect her to speak with such love towards a majority white student body.
Her call was for us to be a Truth-Telling, Table-Turning Taylor. She called for us to be willing to talk to people back home about how to live this Christian life differently. She hoped that we would see our brothers and sisters in Christ who look differently than we do as Brothers and Sisters (no matter the break in denominations).
Pastor Gladden did not stereotype the white students at Taylor for not understanding her life nor did she try to convince us that she or her congregation needed help. She instead encouraged us to learn from each other, which I thought was quite convicting.
How many times have I tuned someone out because he or she didn't act like I do? Because I thought that I couldn't relate to them? That does not mean that their opinion is worthless. All Brothers and Sisters in Christ are worthy of my respect, whether I think they are or not.
Here I'm talking to myself. I hope that we will take Pastor Gladden's words to heart and act on our convictions.
Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High School Musical Songs Ranked, Part 1

The Waiting, Not Dating Narrative

Review of Riverdale "The Ides of March" and "How to Get Away with Murder"

New RomComs Review