Review of the Billboard Music Awards 2016, Part 2

This is a continuation of my review of the Billboard Music Awards 2016.
Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani, "Go Ahead and Break My Heart"- Recent couple Blake and Gwen have been supporting each other at events, but this was the first that I'd heard their new duet. I was not sure how it would sound because their voices have such different tones, but it was fantastic. I enjoyed seeing their relationship play out in a song.
DNCE, "Cake by the Ocean"- This song has been everywhere for weeks. One unique part of this performance was that there were large balloons with DNCE written on them onstage. The band kicked these into the crowd and then went into the crowd themselves.
Kesha, "It Ain't Me Babe" cover- The hosts addressed rumors that she was not going to perform before announcing this singer. This was Kesha's return to television after her legal dispute with Dr. Luke earlier this year. Dr. Luke's record label approved her performance after she assured them that she would not speak out against him (www.usatoday.com). I was quite impressed with her, as I had never heard her sing ballads before. The audience gave her a standing ovation.
Rihanna, "Love on the Brain"- I enjoyed this ballad. Rihanna was wearing a green feather boa tied around the edge of her top.
Celine Dion, "The Show Must Go On"- This was in honor of Celine winning the Icon Award. An orchestra, saxophones, and Lindsey Stirling (violin) accompanied her. Her performance was as captivating as ever. Celine's son gave her the award, which she did not expect. She cried before her acceptance speech and apologized to the audience for doing so.
Troye Sivan, "Youth"- This was his Billboard debut, and he was quite excited about it. I don't know what I think of him as an artist, but he is quite young, with plenty of time to grow.
The Go-Gos (35th Anniversary), "We Got the Beat"- I did not grow up with The Go-Gos, though I know the song. They performed well, but it was sort of like seeing my mom onstage.
Ariana Grande, "Dangerous Woman", "Into You"- Ariana played the synth for her first song. The second song was typical of her live performances.
Madonna, Prince tribute- She sat on a purple throne at the beginning. I thought that she let her emotions get to her as "Nothing Compares 2 U" progressed. I was glad that she brought out Stevie Wonder for "Purple Rain," as she seemed to be losing steam.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High School Musical Songs Ranked, Part 1

The Waiting, Not Dating Narrative

Review of Riverdale "The Ides of March" and "How to Get Away with Murder"

New RomComs Review